“Conversations with the Pioneers” is the historical component in Pan Trinbago’s Pan Month calendar of events marking the anniversary of the declaration of the steelpan as the national music instrument of Trinidad & Tobago.
The forum takes place on Thursday August 29, at the Massy Trinidad All Stars Pan Yard, Duke Street, Port of Span from 6:00 pm.
Pan elders and historians will share their experiences. Among these are: Dr. Pearl Eintou Springer, international renowned poet, playwright and cultural activist, Lennox “Bobby” Mohammed, steelpan legend and arranger of Guinness Cavaliers, and Emlyn Harewoord, a member of the first National Steel Orchestra. As part of the “conversation”, Ray Funk, a retired Alaskan trial judge, author has provided recorded film clips and interviews, “A Celebration of Pioneers” who have passed away. The film clips was part of Trinidad & Tobago Film Festival at Carifesta XIV.
He explains this latest program is his desire to let the audience hear and see these pioneers – Drs. Ellie Mannette, Jit Samaroo, Cliff Alexis, Pat Bishop, Kim Loy Wong, Clive Bradley and Ken “Professor” Philmore.
Adding:” I want to let the history of pan unfold from the voices of the icons who have contributed to its history”.
Another contributor is Oba Kiteme , President of the Success Laventille Networking Committee (SCNC), who will mount his exhibition which will feature artifacts, literature, wood carvings and steelpans. He will make an oral contribution on the ancestors.
Providing a lighter side of the forum and in keeping with the theme, is a cultural display put on by The Gasparillo Tamboo Bamboo Specialists and drumology by the St. James Drummers.
As a special lagniappe, Massy Trinidad All Stars Youth Steel Orchestra will perform with a flambeaux procession at the start of the evening’s proceedings.
The event is open to the general public. Food and drinks will be on sale.
CONVERSATIONS WITH THE PIONEERS - THE PROGRAM
Thursday August 29, 2019
Massy Trinidad All Stars Pan Theatre, Duke Street, Port of Spain.
6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Moderator: Mr. Marcus Ash, Education Officer
- Drummers to begin performance at 5:30 pm at the entrance to Massy Trinidad All Stars Pan Theatre
- At 6:00 pm, Libations to the Ancestors to be done on roadway at the entrance by Dr. Pearl Eintou Springer
- The Gasparillo Tamboo Bamboo Specialists leads the Executive, Invited guests, Staff members, Public into the panyard lighted by flambeaux.
- Audience takes their seats at designated areas.
- Gasparillo Tamboo Bamboo Specialists continues performing for 15 to 20 minutes
- National Anthem of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago
- Welcome Address: Mrs. Beverley Ramsey-Moore, President, Pan Trinbago
- Sharing of Experiences – Dr. Pearl Eintou Springer – Internationally acclaimed Cultural Activist
- Mr. Lennox “Bobby” Mohammed – Steelpan legend & Arranger
- Mr. Emlyn Harewood- Mamber of First National Steel Orchestra
- Film Slides from the collection of Ray Funk – “Celebration of the Pioneers” featuring Dr. Jit Samaroo, Dr Ellie Mannette, Dr. Clifford Alexis, Dr. Pat Bishop, Kim Loy Wong, Clive Bradley, and Ken “Professor” Philmore.
- Performance: Massy Trinidad All Stars Youth Steel Orchestra
- Thank You- Mr. Marcus Ash, Education Officer, Pan Trinbago